10 Habits for a Tidy Home
For years I struggled with keeping a tidy home (especially when I was a young mom). Even as a teenager, I had difficulties in just keeping my room clean! But through the years I have adapted many habits for a tidy home and have devoured every tip I could find to simplify the process.
Keeping things tidy IS NOT something I love doing. I have friends and family that love organizing and cleaning. I am quite the opposite, but I don’t like overwhelm. When I create a mess, I become very overwhelmed. So to avoid this feeling, I have adapted many tidy habits.
Don’t get me wrong, my house is lived in! Although I LOVE the Instagram ready homes that flood the internet. I live in the real world and have long ago given up the desire for a “perfect” home. I want cozy, stylish and welcoming…not the “Am I allowed to sit here?” look. But no matter what your style is tidy and clean is always a necessity, so read further for my 10 habits for a tidy home.
Habits for a tidy home didn’t come easy at first.
(This post may contain affiliate links. What does that mean to you? Well, if you click on a product and make a purchase, I may receive some compensation at NO charge to you. If you want to read the boring stuff, my full disclosure can be found here.)
Let’s face it, a messy house is no fun! When I have clutter, I feel off my game. The stress and overwhelm consume and even depress me. Each task feels enormous and unaccomplishable.
But if you have a mess, where do you start? I know this alone is stressful. I find it’s best to start in your most used rooms by tackling the clutter. Follow this post, Say Goodbye To Clutter – 3 Questions To Ask When Conquering Clutter, to make the process a little easier.
If you are looking for a guide to help you through a fast cleaning (because there is a difference in tidy and clean) of your home read and download the free printable in this post, How to Clean Your House in a Jiffy.
A Few of My FAVORITE Items to Keep a Tidy Home!
- Large Woven Seagrass Storage Basket. I absolutely love this basket! I love the look as well as how handy it is for storing items. I love throw blankets but hate them “hanging” around my living area. This basket is perfect for tucking those throws away.
- Casabella Wayclean Wide Angle Broom. Not all brooms are cut out for getting the job done, but this one is! I highly recommend the Casabella Wayclean because of price and it really sweeps up the dust and whatnots from your floor.
- Vremi Collapsible Plastic Laundry Basket. Few laundry baskets have impressed me, but this Vremi laundry basket has! Y’all! It’s collapsible so when you are finished using it, just slide it out of the way. It is also great for kids toys and a must have in college dorms.
However, after I started following these 10 habits for a tidy home, keeping everything clean has never been easier.
1. Don’t save it all for one day a week!
After a very busy week of being a mom and working a full-time job, the last thing I wanted to do on Saturday was clean my house. And in reality, we are all just as busy on the weekends as on the weekdays!
I used to spend one day on my weekend dusting, mopping, scrubbing the toilets, cleaning the fridge, etc. I was exhausted and missed out on enjoying my weekends! By learning to break cleaning into small bits of time, I have free time on my weekends to enjoy life.
Designate a day for each chore…kitchen on Sunday, bathrooms on Monday, living area on Tuesday, and so on. Whatever fits your schedule.
2. Make your bed daily!
Trust me, I’ve made all of the excuses to NOT make my bed.
- “No one is going to see it.”
- “It’s just going to get unmade tonight when I go to bed.”
- “I don’t have time in the morning.”
Excuses are super easy to make, but if you are honest with yourself so is making your bed. I don’t always go full out and Pinterest pin photo ready, but fluffing your pillows, straightening your sheets, and pulling the comforter up takes no time at all!
It may be a small accomplishment but it sets the tone for the day!
3. Pick up your clothes once they are done!
I hate waking up in the morning and walking into my closet with a certain outfit in mind only to find it not there! Did I wash it? Is it still in the hamper? No, I left it in the dryer and now it is completely wrinkled. At one time, this was my life!
It is so much easier to fold and hang immediately after drying your clothes. While this might take 10 minutes, it will save you loads of time in the morning. This simple task will also help to start your day off on the right foot.
4. Wash dishes immediately after supper!
It is so tempting to avoid this task…don’t you agree? If I procrastinate and decide to watch TV, one program turns into two and before I know it I’m ready to head to bed and the dishes are still there! That’s why I prefer to tackle this chore immediately after supper. Adapting this habit has cut down on my feelings of dread when it comes to dishes.
Utilizing these routines daily will quickly become a habit!
5. Sweep the kitchen nightly!
I quick sweep stops the crumbs from traveling to other areas of the house. This will also prevent food and debris from being ground in the cracks and crevices of the kitchen thus saving time when mopping. A little preventative maintenance goes a long way in speeding up other chores.
6. Clean up as you go…this habit will shave loads of time from your routine!
Whether you are cooking, crafting, brushing your teeth (the list could go on), cleaning as you go makes other chores exponentially easier and quickly becomes a habit!
- wipe lavatory after brushing teeth
- wash dishes as you cook
- pick up craft items after you are finished
- pack up school bags after homework has been completed
7. 15-minute room clean up nightly!
Set a room schedule for the week and spend 15 minutes cleaning nightly. You will be amazed at how much you can accomplish in 15 minutes of uninterrupted time in one room. This will definitely cut down on cleaning over the weekend.
Through the years my habits to keep a tidy home have improved!
8. “Catch all” baskets are a lifesaver!
I have baskets everywhere and I can always use more! The following are just a few examples of my basket use:
- by the door to collect shoes
- in the living room for throw blankets
- in the living room for toys
- on the counter to store the clutter that accumulates during the week
9. A great habit to incorporate is picking up before bed!
As you are heading to bed, grab those loose items (jacket on the sofa, toys on the floor, etc.) and put them away. It is so nice waking up to a neat home!
10. Get the family involved!
I know we are supermoms, but we honestly don’t need to do it all! Delegate and work as a family. If everyone pitches in all tasks will be completed in a short amount of time taking so much pressure off of you.
Take your weekends back with these 10 habits for a tidy home!
By following these simple steps to keep my home nice and tidy daily, I have taken my Saturdays back!
What is your favorite habit to keep a tidy home?
To learn more about me and It’s a Southern Life Y’all, visit my about page.